Be the best parent you can be, and that does not mean a perfect parent
Children don’t need perfect parents, they need human parents
Parents who build their own Self Esteem by:
- Not being critical of themselves – NOT using all those “should have’s” ought to, etc) and who always look for ways to do things differently next time.
- Love and accept themselves
- Who make time for themselves
- Who look after themselves
This gives the child the message that parents are individuals in their own right who are human, who also make mistakes but can accept that and move on.
Children need parents who often and not always:
- Provide in their basic needs
- Love them unconditionally – for the unique persons they are
- Show an interest them by attending e.g. school events
- Respect their feelings, but limit their behavior
- Give them frequent positive feedback – not focusing more on what they do wrong but taking note of what they do right.
- Guide and teach them by using respectful discipline techniques
The Parent Centre
Helping Children Through Positive Parenting